As I appear to be totally all about deaths and birthdays at the moment (probably deeply psychologically telling that), I simply couldn’t let today pass without acknowledging the birthday of horror’s gentlemen Boris Karloff.
There now follows a brief list of reasons Mr. Karloff rocks:
• The sheer wealth of works he left behind. Seriously, the man had made more movies before talking was even invented (yes, talking had to be invented) than a lot of actors make in a lifetime.
• He turned down The Monster role in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein because he did not think it was respectful to the character.
• Despite this, he did, however, have sense of humour enough to pose for publicity shots for the movie that showed him buying tickets to see it. He also did go on to star in two other movies with them; …Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff and ….Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
• Arsenic and Old Lace. I love this movie so don’t even feel the need to justify this statement.
• That face. It truly was a beautiful face.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of the reasons I believe B.K. to be rocktastic, but rather an imperceptible but respectful nod of the head in direction of a horror icon.